Thursday, July 17, 2014

Dying for Rag Yarn

Rag Yarn is Such an Interesting Medium

This all started with the bath mat I made from the old sheet, it wears so well and is machine washable and dryer safe. The fabric has become absorbent over time too.

So, because I have Muslin fabric here all the time (for my pillow inserts) I decided to tear my strips narrower and dye it. Muslin is an even weave cotton and absorbs dyes very well. 



Here I have the Federal Blue and a Bright Pink, they will look darker in the dye bath. With these batches I started with fabric that has already been stripped. There is a little less drama in the untangling  if I dye the fabric before stripping!
I have been testing for gauge and color fastness of the rag yarn. It is washable and dryer safe. Below I have a couple pictures that show gauge. The white is in stockinette stitch on a US13 needle is 11 stitches and 12 rows to a 4 inch by 4 inch swatch. The sample you see in the next picture is knit on a US15 needle, the gauge is 12 stitches and 14 rows to a 4 inch by 4 inch swatch.

 
If you like to knit or crochet, have some fun with different fibers. For fun here are some links with rag yarn ideas:  Creativejewishmom.com      bethsco.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment